Child Visitor

UK Child Visitor

This page explains what you need to do if you wish to travel to the United Kingdom and you are a person under the age of 18 or if you wish your child to visit the United Kingdom.

To come to the United Kingdom as a child visitor you must be able to show that you:

  • Meet the general visitor requirements other than those that refer to age and study; Are under 18 years at the time of your application;
  • Can show that suitable arrangements are in place for your travel, reception and care and can provide full details of these arrangements;
  • Have a parent or guardian in your home country who is responsible for your care and can provide their address and landline telephone number; and
  • If accepted on a course of study, are studying at an establishment that is included on the register of education and training providers and is not state-funded.

In addition, child visitors who are visa nationals must have a valid entry clearance which identifies the adult accompanying the child visitor, or states that the child visitor is unaccompanied. The child visit visa will only be valid if the named adult physically accompanies the child.

Requirement of Documentation
This page explains what documents you should have when coming to the UK as a child visitor. In addition to meeting the general requirements of the visitor rules on maintenance, accommodation, intentions and affordability of the visit, the following must be provided:

Evidence of the child’s travel arrangements where known and, unless they are travelling unaccompanied, with whom they are travelling. This may just be evidence of inclusion in the parent’s or guardian’s travel arrangements. The details of the adult accompanying the child will be required unless the child is travelling unaccompanied, as well as who is receiving the child once the child arrives in the UK;

Evidence of where the child will be staying and with whom. This may just be evidence of the parent’s or guardian’s accommodation arrangements in the United Kingdom. If not, then details of the person the child will be staying with will be needed, as well as their address and a landline telephone number;

If the parent or guardian is not making the visa application on the child’s behalf, a letter will be required from the parent or guardian, giving permission for the child to make the visit, confirming his/her relationship to the child and giving full contact details.
If a child is granted a visa as a child visitor, the vignette (sticker) in the child’s passport will give the details of the adult accompanying hime/her, and say that the visa is only valid if the child is physically accompanied by the named adult. It is therefore essential that you decide on the name of the adult who will accompany the child before you make the visa application.

How to extend your stay as a visitor
This page explains how you can extend your stay as a visitor.
If you come to the United Kingdom as a visitor you are only allowed to stay for a maximum of six months. If you were granted leave to enter for three months (this will be stamped in your passport) and you would like to extend your stay to a maximum of six months you will need to apply using the application form FLR(O). You can download this form and the guidance from the right side of this page. You should read the guidance notes before completing the application form.

You should send your completed application form to us by post before your permission to stay ends. The application form gives you details of where to send your completed application form, fee and supporting documents. All documents should be originals unless you have a good reason why you cannot produce them with your application.

If you need to travel urgently, you can apply in person at one of our public enquiry offices.
You are not allowed to stay in the United Kingdom as a visitor for more than six months. You are expected to return home when your visa expires. In some circumstances, you may be able to transfer to a different category of visa and you should see the appropriate category for more information.
For further help you can call the number on the right side of this page.

How to appeal
This page explains if you are able to appeal if you are refused permission to enter the United Kingdom as a visitor.
If we refuse your application, the entry clearance officer or the immigration officer will tell you and you will be given a detailed written refusal notice.

You can appeal against a decision to refuse entry clearance, but only if you are visiting a close member of your family.
There are rules to explain exactly which members of the family qualify for this right of appeal. The entry clearance officer or immigration officer will tell you if you qualify.

If you travel to the United Kingdom without entry clearance (permission to enter) and are refused permission to enter by an immigration officer at the border, we recommend that you apply for entry clearance in your country of residence before attempting to travel to the United Kingdom again.

Click here for more information about UK Child Visior