Student Nurse

Student Nurse Visa to UK

This type of visa provides for those who want to study and train as a student nurse or midwife in the UK.
Students will study the high standard of medical practice in the United Kingdom and have the chance to work with advanced technology and drugs. This category is alike to the main Student type and allows the candidate to work for a limited period whilst studying. Extensions can be gained in this category along with the possibility of later switching to a Working Visa category due to the shortage of qualified Nurses and Midwives in the UK.

Student Nurses And How They Qualify
To qualify for admission as a student nurse or midwife, the applicant must:

  • Have been accepted for a course of study in a recognized nursing educational establishment offering nursing training which meets the requirements of the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC);
  • Be accepted for a course of study at such an establishment and not have gained acceptance by misrepresentation;
  • Be able, and intend, to follow the course;
  • Not intend to engage in business or take employment except in connection with the training course;
  • Have sufficient funds for accommodation and maintenance for himself and any dependants without recourse to public funds during the course of study. (A bursary may be taken into account in assessing maintenance. It is not considered as public funds.)

ECOs should note that overseas nurses and midwives who have been accepted on adaptation courses leading to registration as a nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council are, from 1 September 2005, to be dealt with as a separate category under Immigration Rules.

Nurse Training And Qualifications
The training undertaken in NHS hospitals and nursing educational establishments lasts 3 years. Courses lead to the qualifications of Registered General Nurse (RGN), Registered Mental Health Nurse (RMN), and Registered Nurse for Learning difficulties (RNLD, formerly RMHN) or Registered Sick Children’s Nurse (RCSN). Midwifery training is either 3 years for direct entrants or 18 months for Registered General Nurses. Both lead to qualification as a Registered Midwife (RM).

There are two types of courses available to qualify as a nurse: Diploma of Higher Education in Nursing, or Degree in Nursing. Study is for a minimum of 3 years, half of which is theory and the remainder supervised nursing practice. The student will be based at a college or university where the theory and knowledge elements of the course are taught. These periods will be matched in time in hospitals and other environments where the student will start to develop practical skills and experience under supervision from a qualified nurse.

The course consists of a Common Foundation programme (CFP) and a Specialist Branch Programme – adult nursing, children’s nursing, midwifery, mental health or learning disability. The duration of the CFP component is 1 year. The duration of the Branch Programme component of a course is 2 years.

Employment Prior To And During Training
Persons admitted to the UK as student nurses and midwives are permitted to take employment for a maximum of 8 weeks prior to the commencement of their courses, at the hospitals where they are to be trained. Once their course has commenced, student nurses may take employment in excess of 20 hours per week normally permitted during term time, if such employment is a necessary part of the course and has the agreement of the education institution concerned. In these circumstances, no further approval is required.

Switching Into Work Permit Employment
Student nurses (including those on supervised practice) are technically eligible to switch to work permit employment once they have qualified. Intention to leave the UK should not, therefore, be a consideration in their entry clearance applications. All student nurses who gain NMC registration on completion of their degree may switch from student nurse to work permit status whether they are to be employed by the NHS or by a private healthcare provider.

You will also have to prove that you have been accepted for training at an approved establishment as a student nurse or midwife and that this study will lead to a registered nursing qualification.

Benefit of this Visa:
The advantage of this visa is that you can study in the United Kingdom and also work there. Upon successful completion of your course it may be possible to switch to a working category from within the United Kingdom.

Click here for more information