Teachers and language Assistant

Purpose of the scheme
Generally, Teachers from overseas who are suitably qualified may only come to the United Kingdom for full time job by getting a work permit. However, teachers and language assistants coming to schools in the United Kingdom under approved exchange schemes may be admitted without work permits under Rules.
Previous entry clearance is mandatory.

Requirements for entry clearance
The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the UK as a teacher or language assistant on an approved exchange scheme are that he/she:

  • Is coming to an educational establishment in the UK under an exchange scheme approved by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES), the Scottish and Welsh Office of Education or the Department of Education, Northern Ireland, or administered by the British Council’s Education and Training Group or the League for the Exchange of Commonwealth Teachers (LECT); and
  • Intends to leave the UK at the end of his/her exchange period; and
  • Does not intend to take employment except in the terms of this paragraph; and
  • Is able to maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants without recourse to public funds.

Under the scheme exchange teachers are usually required to undergo medical examination before coming to the UK.

Exchange Teachers
Both LECT and the Education and Training Group arrange direct exchanges between teachers in the UK and overseas. A second year may be permitted.

Language Assistants
For your kind of information we tell you that British Council’s Education and Training Group places language assistants in schools and colleges in the United Kingdom. Language assistants are not sent on head-to-head exchanges but are nevertheless part of an exchange programme. They are usually employed for not more than 12 hours a week for one academic year. As in the case of exchange teachers, a second year may be permitted, with the agreement of the Education and Training Group.
Companies may request Home Office permission to employ the assistant for more than 12 hours a week. This may be approved provided the Education and Training Group is in agreement.

Maintenance and accommodation
It should not usually be necessary to make enquiries about maintenance and accommodation for teachers. Language assistants, however, are only working part-time and it maybe advisable to check that they are able to meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements, exclusively if they have dependants.

Click here for Rules and Regulations

Click here for more information