UK Student Visa

Since 01-September-2007 all students need a student entry clearance to enter the UK to study, except those on a course of study of 6 months or less who may qualify for entry under the new category of student visitor.

This page describes about students and student visitors. If you have currently graduated you should visit the link of Post-study work pages.

Can I come to the UK for study?

This page explains how you can come to the UK to study. You can come as a:


If you are coming to the UK as a student, before you come here you will require to have been accepted onto a course of study by an organisation that is on the register of education and training providers.

The course should be at one of the following:

  • A publicly funded institution of further or higher education (a university) with maintained records of enrolment and attendance which are readily available to us;
  • A genuine private education institution; or
  • An independent fee-paying school;

And you need to be undertaking one of these:

  • A recognized full-time degree course;
  • A course run during the week that involves at least 15 hours of organized daytime study a week; or
  • A full-time course of study at an independent fee paying school.

You must also:

  • Be registered with the UK  awarding body if you are studying externally for a degree at a private education institution; and
  • Be able to pay for your course and support and accommodate yourself and any dependants without working or help from public funds; and
  • Plan to leave the UK when you complete your studies.

You must not:

  • Take employment in the United Kingdom;
  • Engage in business, produce goods or provide services within the United Kingdom, including selling goods or services direct to members of the public;
  • Study at a government-funded school;
  • Be a child under the age of 18;
  • Undertake part-time (up to 20 hours), or full-time vacation employment;
  • Undertake a work placement or internship (paid or unpaid) as part of your course of study; or
  • Extend your stay in the UK.

Click here for more information about student visa

Read UK Student debt guide